When first introduced to it, many people are apprehensive about twitter and its effectiveness in business. Some see it as pointless and a waste of time. However, in “How to Use Twitter to Grow Your Business”, Michael Stelzner demonstrates how twitter can be a very effective marketing tool.
So what is twitter exactly? Twitter is essentially a mini blog. In case you have never used it, it allows you to make updates (called “tweets”) in a maximum of 140 characters as often as you want. When you “follow” someone, you see their “tweets” and when someone “follows” you, they see your “tweets”. When one considers that 5 to 10 thousand new people join twitter daily and that totally users are estimated to be 5 million, opportunities are to connect with customers are huge.
So how can this be utilized for business? Duct Tape Marketing founder John Jantsch identifies the following advantages to twitter:
1) I get great insight when I ask questions
2) Let’s face it, I get traffic
3) People on Twitter spread my thought to new places
CEO of Zappos.com, Tony Hseih, cites that twitter helps connect to customers on a personal level and build the brand, not drive direct sales.
Some other advantages of twitter include getting in front of high profile people you would have not been able to reach through traditional means. As well as increasing traffic.
There are additional tools businesses can utilize to enhance twitter.
1) TwitterFox- allows you to view tweets within the Firefox web browser so you do not have to constantly log into twitter
2) TweetLater- this allows you to schedule tweets; it also allows you to receive emails of keyword activity so you can join a conversation or track topics
3) Ping.fm- this allows you to post updates across all social media sites, such as LinkedIn and Facebook
4) Twitter for Facebook- this allows you to update both twitter and facebook