American Airlines AAdvantage Loyalty Program Updates
Earning miles and elite status is changing as American Airlines launches updates to their AAdvantage loyalty program. Members will earn more miles when they spend more, and a new elite status level offers additional opportunities for rewards.
“American Airlines is evolving AAdvantage to continue our tradition of having the best loyalty program in the world by rewarding our most loyal customers with the benefits they value the most,” said Andrew Nocella, American’s Chief Marketing Officer.
Rewards and Recognition
For travel beginning, August 1, 2016, flights marketed by American will earn award miles based on the price of the ticket purchased. Elite members will earn even more miles based on their status level.
Award miles for travel on most flights marketed by partner airlines will be based on a percentage of the flight distance and the booking code purchased.
Beginning later this month, customers will be able to see an estimate of the number of miles and elite-qualifying credits they will earn for a chosen itinerary when booking their trip on aa.com.
2017 Loyalty Program Updates
New Elite Level
On January 1, 2017, the AAdvantage program will add a fourth elite level for customers.
- Platinum Pro – members can begin qualifying for this new level in 2017. Placed between Platinum and Executive Platinum levels, members will receive benefits, including:
- Complimentary auto-requested upgrades on all eligible flights within North America and between the U.S. and Central America
- Earn 9 award miles/U.S. dollar (80% bonus)
- Two free checked bags
- Oneworld® Sapphire status
New Elite Qualification Requirement
Effective January 1, 2017, Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) will be added to the elite qualification requirements.
- Members can earn elite status by reaching the EQD threshold, and either the Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) or Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS) requirement.
Changes to Upgrade Benefits
Later in 2017, AAdvantage members will see changes to how upgrade requests are prioritized along with a new benefit for Executive Platinum members:
- Upgrade priority will be based on a 12-month rolling EQD total, sorted by elite status level.
- Executive Platinum members will be able to use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class.
Source: American Airlines
Best Rewards Program
Grow your knowledge, keep your ear to the ground and stay on top of your relationships from every angle. Then use that new insight to grow profitable customer relationships and keep your customers out of competitors’ reach.
See how one of our experts can set your rewards program on the right path with our systematic process.
Filed under: Brand Loyalty